Forward planning helps students make a smooth transition to high school.
To enrol and receive more information please visit the moving to high school page to find out more about the transition of year 6 students into year 7.
When to start
It is recommended that students and their parents and carers, primary school principal and school learning and support team begin planning:
- Early in the year before starting high school for a student with disability and additional learning and support needs.
- Up to two years before starting high school for a student needing help with access or mobility, e.g. for wheelchair access or if other significant changes to the high school environment may be required.
- Discussions begin with a student's current school learning and support team and may involve identifying:
- Which educational option best suits a student's individual learning and support needs in high school.
- Any adjustments that may be necessary for a successful transition to a new environment, such as access to technology, large print, visual supports, building modifications.
- Key contacts at the intended high school.
- Processes for transferring information about a student's individual education needs.
- A timeline for the transition process.